Tested: Alpinestars FastLane Motorcycle Shoes
After a few months of begging industry-champion motorsport outfitter Alpinestars for some gear to test, they finally obliged us with a sweet pair of kicks from their street motorcycle apparel lineup.
It couldn’t have come at a better time, because the Pumas I had bought off the clearance rack at Marshall’s were looking even shabbier than my twenty-year-old sportbike.
I busted open the box and shot my usual impression video, including a road test review.
In collaboration with Bootleg Media Group we were able to up the production value from my usual one-camera operation, and I finally found an excuse to strap a GoPro to my Gixxer.
I yapped about the build quality, style and versatility of the FastLane shoes on camera, but in case you don’t want to take my word for it, examine the close-ups for yourself.
A high-powered sportbike, even a geriatric one like mine, requires a little commitment on behalf of the rider in order to extract the machine’s full performance potential.
You wouldn’t take out a Ferrari with bald tires and no seat belt, right?
Put your hand down, Mr. Hattabaugh.
These shoes give you the a little racing boot rigidity without… well… being racing boots. The high-top style is less aggressive in appearance when worn with jeans (or any long pants), and the only thing hinting at the motorsport-orientation of your footwear will be the big A* emblazoned on the sides.
The black-on-white with red trim really is a classic race look, but the shoes can be had in black/yellow or black/white as well.
Here are the specs, straight from the horse’s mouth (what?):
- Sleek profile upper is constructed from lightweight, durable and abrasion resistant microfiber.
- Breathable mesh liner aids airflow within the shoe.
- External TPR protectors around the ankle and toe.
- Foam backed, double density ankle cups provide impact protection to both sides of the ankle.
- Internal toe and heel counter are layered under the microfiber for additional impact and crush protection.
- Reflective stripes on heel for improved visibility in dark conditions.
- Integrated metal shank in the sole helps reduce excessive foot deformation during impacts.
Comfort and convenience
- Plush 3D Mesh on the collar and tongue.
- Shift area with debossed texture detail.
- Extremely lightweight rubber sole features laser-ablated textured grip for sure footing on all surfaces.
- PU midsole on the heel for added walking comfort.
- Anatomically profiled EVA foam footbed grants the foot a more natural posture both on and off the bike.
- Lace closure system with adjustable Velcro strap affords quick and easy fastening.
Head over to Alpinestars’ dedicated page for the shoes here to see them up close and get a pair of your own.